(FLEX: Focus on Learning and Eliminating eXclusion)
*Please note that FLEX Forward Accessible Education training is strongly encouraged for all instructional staff at McMaster University*
**Please also note that the most recent version of the FLEX Forward Accessible Education Training is available from Avenue to Learn. Please follow the same steps to register through Mosaic, and the course will automatically populate within your Avenue account 15 minutes after Mosaic registration.**
FLEX forward training updates: 2020-2021
McMaster’s FLEX Forward: Accessible Education Course has undergone a 2020 course revision, including the exciting addition of a new chapter that has been developed over the 2020-2021 academic year in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the University’s subsequent shift to remote work and teaching and learning environments.
This chapter is entitled Module 7: Accessibility in Online and Technology-Enhanced Learning and can be found at the end of the current FLEX Forward course.
**Please note that the accompanying quiz has been updated to reflect the addition of new content.
Contact McMaster’s AccessMac Accessibility Program at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any further questions / needs for support.
Steps for reviewing the resource:
- Log-in to Mosaic
- Click the “Regulatory Training” tab
- Click on “Search by Course Name” > Search for “AODATL: Accessible Education”
- Click on > “View Available Sessions”
- Click “00XX” [under Session label] > This number will change when a new session is opened.
- Click “Continue” > “Submit”
- Wait 24 hours for the course to be added to Avenue to Learn.
- Login to Avenue to Learn and search your Avenue to Learn courses by typing “AODA” in the search bar on the first page. Click to enter the course shell “Accessible Education”.
- Access the FLEX Forward e-book > Read the entire resource before completing the quiz
- Complete a quiz in Avenue to Learn [“Assessments” > “Quizzes”] to demonstrate an understanding of Accessible Education principles.
- Wait 24 hours for quiz results to appear in your Mosaic training summary.
This resources includes:
- Module 1: Introduction
- Module 2: Understandings of Disability
- Module 3: Principles for Accessible Education
- Module 4: Course Design
- Module 5: Student Engagement
- Module 6: Assessment & Evaluation
- Module 7: Accessibility in Online and Technology-Enhanced Learning
- Module 8: Conclusion
In addition to:
- Context, Principles & Application
- Examples of common accessibility barriers in teaching and learning
- Specific recommendations for what to do and how to approach various teaching and learning situations
- Ideas from students, colleagues, and the scholarly literature
Questions, Comments, Feedback
To contact the FLEX Forward project staff, email email@example.com. We look forward to hearing what you think!
The FLEX Forward resource is supported the Paul R. MacPherson Institute for Leadership, Innovation and Excellence in Teaching and Learning, with support from the McMaster Accessibility Council (MAC) and the Equity and Inclusion Office.