The International Day of Persons with Disabilities, established in 1992 by the United Nations General Assembly, is commemorated annually on December 3. The theme of the 2023 International Day of Persons with Disabilities is: “United in action to rescue and achieve the SDGs for, with and by persons with disabilities”.
To commemorate and celebrate December 3rd, campus and community partners, including the Equity and Inclusion AccessMac Program, the MacPherson Institute, MSU Maccess, the Employee Accessibility Network, Student Accessibility Services, Library Accessibility Services, Student Success Centre, Student Wellness Centre, School of Graduate Studies, and Human Resources are working to co-organize a three-week line up of events and training, spanning from November 14th-December 8th, 2022.
Four (4) events organized by MSU Maccess including:
- Disability Theory Workshop: Diving into the diverse world of disability models and theories with Maccess! Join us on November 20th for an engaging discussion on understanding and critiquing disability models and theories! There will be food too, so do not miss out on our event! Let’s empower change and inclusivity together!
- Maccess Art Night: Come join us at Maccess Art Night on November 21st! Join us in the Maccess space for a laid-back evening of creativity and connection! Come enjoy art, food, and great company with fellow disabled individuals. Let’s make some colourful memories together!
- Maccess Game Night: Mark your calendars for November 22nd! This event will have a variety of games to play including both video games and physical board games Event is open to everyone and anybody! Don’t miss out on the fun and snacks.
- Disabled People F.U.C.K. (Facilitating Understanding, Consent, and Knowledge): We’re bringing back Disabled People F.U.C.K. for our Disvisibility Week this year! Come and join us on Thursday, November 23rd for a screening of Cripping Up Sex by Eva Sweeney.
When: Monday November 20th — Thursday, November 23rd
Where: For more details, connect with MSU Maccess
Disability Resource Fair will be set up by MSU Maccess with various booths regarding accessibility and disability. All are welcome to attend and learn more about the resources at McMaster and in the Hamilton community!
When: Friday, November 24th; 12:00 — 3:00 PM
Where: MUSC Atrium
Join this workshop and collaborative discussions for tips on controlling spending, saving money, increasing revenue and achieving better financial wellness to ensure persons with barriers / disability have a successful transition post-pandemic with independently managing their financials around work, school and home.?
When: Tuesday, November 28, 12:30 to 1:20 PM
Where: Zoom – Register Here
Are you taking advantage of all available grants and benefits? Did you know that the government provides various education grants and tax benefits for persons with disabilities? These offset the cost of additional demands that are barriers to success. In addition, there are education grants to help with the affordability of education and accessibility needs and, in some cases, do not need to be paid back. The disability tax credit also provides significant tax advantages as well as broadens access to other benefits and savings programs. Attend free Financial Literacy Month (November) events for a chance to win up to $1,000 toward your textbooks for the winter term, courtesy of the Student Success Centre.
Attend this Zoom workshop to learn about:
- Education Grants
- Disability tax credit and recent 2021 changes
- Eligible medical deductions, disability supports deductions
- Registered Disability Savings Plan (Grants and Bonds available)
- Home Accessibility Grant
When: November 28, 1:30 to 2:20 PM
Where: Zoom – Register Here
If you have an accommodation need for an event/planned meeting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join us in celebrating Disability Pride reflecting on the past few years with COVID-19 and transitions at work, school, and home in a safe space at McMaster as things continue to return to campus post pandemic. This is the 1st Disability DIScussions of 2023 – 2024, visit our Accessibility Hub for the list of future sessions. CART captioning will be provided, and ASL is available upon request.
When: Tuesday, November 28th; 5:00 to 6:00 PM
Where: Mills Library Community Room L304 –Register Here
To join on zoom, access the meeting link in registration form or email email@example.com
Join us for an accessible guided tour of the current exhibit following our zine making workshop while engaging in thoughtful reflection on your experiences related to accessibility and art guided by a professional artist. ASL and CART captioning is available upon request.
When: Thursday, November 30th; 4:30 – 6:30 PM
Where: McMaster Museum of Art – Register Here
Join the McMaster Employee Accessibility Network to celebrate, check-in, and debrief themes and events for December 3rd.
Open to McMaster employees who identify as having a disability, chronic health conditions, and/or access disability-related accommodations.
When: Monday, December 4th; 12:00 – 1:00 PM
Where: Microsoft Teams – Email firstname.lastname@example.org for link access.
Gain a robust introduction to CAST’s Universal Design for Learning guidelines through a series of online workshops that explore applications in a range of teaching functions with a focus on developing strategies you can implement in your courses.
When: Monday, December 4th to Wednesday, December 6th
Where: Registration available soon on the MacPherson Institute’s Upcoming Events page.