Forward with FLEXibility: A Teaching and Learning Resource on Accessibility and Inclusion
(FLEX: Focus on Learning and Eliminating eXclusion)
Flex Forward: An Introduction to the Resource
The Forward with FLEXibility: A Teaching and Learning Resource on Accessibility was created in response to the AODA requirement to provide accessibility training to educators across campus (AODA IASR s.16). McMaster recognizes that in order to enhance accessibility in teaching and learning, appropriate and relevant supports and resources need to be available for all educators at McMaster, including professors, instructors, lab coordinators, instructional designers, and teaching assistants from every discipline (MAC Annual Report, 2017, p. 6).
The FLEX Forward resource is housed in the Paul R. MacPherson Institute for Leadership, Innovation and Excellence in Teaching and Learning, with support from the McMaster Accessibility Council (MAC) and the Equity and Inclusion Office.
This resources includes:
- Module 1: Introduction
- Module 2: Understandings of Disability
- Module 3: Principles for Accessible Education
- Module 4: Course Design
- Module 5: Student Engagement
- Module 6: Assessment & Evaluation
- Module 7: Conclusion
In addition to:
- Context, Principles & Application
- Examples of common accessibility barriers in teaching and learning
- Specific recommendations for what to do and how to approach various teaching and learning situations
- Ideas from students, colleagues, and the scholarly literature
3 steps for reviewing the resource:
- Access a copy of the FLEX Forward e-book.
- Log-in to Mosaic, click the “Regulatory Training” tab, and enroll in the “AODATL: Accessible Education” course to be added to the FLEX Forward Avenue to Learn course shell.
- Complete a quiz in Avenue to Learn to demonstrate an understanding of Accessible Education principles.
Flex Forward: A Welcome to Accessible Education
Questions, Comments, Feedback
To contact the FLEX Forward project staff, email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing what you think!